Garbage & Recycling Pick-Up
The Village uses automated pick-up service through the use of carts. Carts are owned by the Village's contractor and should be left at your residence should you move from the Village. Residents may request an additional cart, however there will be an additional per household monthly charge for collection. Co-mingle recyclables will be picked up bi-weekly. For more information on the garbage bin placement, click here to view the garbage bin placement diagram.
The charge for refuse collection service appears on your water bill which is sent out monthly. The monthly charge includes the costs for collection, garbage disposal, recycling management, cart rental, fuel and general administration. Materials for collection must be placed at the curb (not in the street) no later than 7 a.m. on your pick-up day. If you do not know your garbage pick-up day, please call the office or click on the following link: Garbage Pickup Map.
2014 Garbage & Reycling Transition to Harter's
As noted above, the Village will be making a transition to a new hauler effective September 1, 2014. Provided below is a summary of additional information that has already been provided through the Village Blog, E-newsletter or Facebook:
- Harter's has been delivering new carts to residents since August 19. Residents may receive one cart first and then the next cart later in the same day or the next day. Carts may also be delivered to one side of the road, with the other side being completed later that day or the next day.
- All single family homes are being provided new 95 gallon carts. Any residents that want to swap out a cart(s) for the smaller 65 gallon size may do so by contacting the Village. Please call 468-5225 and ask for Victoria or e-mail us at
- Advanced Disposal (current contractor) will be collecting their carts beginning August 25 through the first weeks of September.
- Harter's will begin collecting garbage and recycling on September 2 in their newly provided carts only.
- Please do not put garbage or recycling in Advanced Disposal carts after September 2.
- Advanced Disposal carts need to be left near the end of the road within your driveway so they can be collected by Advanced Disposal after their final collection. If they are not picked up by the weekend they may be stored near your home, but then should be placed back to the end of the driveway by Monday.
- The Village's existing contract with Advanced Disposal was set to expire after a 5 year term on August 31, 2014.
- The Village Board approved the new Harter's contract at its May 28, 2014 meeting.
- An estimated annual savings of $120,000 is expected when compared to the Village's current contract. That savings will be passed on directly to our residents.
- Monthly savings on each household utility bill is difficult to quantify due to fluctuating monthly costs such as fuel and garbage disposal (tipping fee) expenses from the hauler.
Remember that it is illegal to dump or dispose of garbage, rubbish, refuse, liquid or solid waste material including oil, sludge, sewage (excluding animal waste used as fertilizer) or waste liquids of any kind or nature, on any property which is located in the Village.